Tuesday, May 21, 2013

A Splash of Color

As mentioned in my last post, I have a bit more love for antiques and old world charm where as my boyfriend likes modern, industrial, and a more simple look. So I try to blend our tastes as best as possible when I can.

This second project we took on this winter was more on my end of the ascetics scale but we were happy to be working on another project together and he knew I fell in love with this piece as soon as I saw it. Now it just needed a bit of flair and a splash of color to bring it to life.

This piece came from a Craigslist ad. Another steal at $20!! 


I fell in love with the ornate detailing and metal finishings on the drawer.

Did I mention I discovered this was a Lane Furniture piece??? Retails for $600+ new and $200+ used at antique stores! 



I already liked the antique white that was used on the table but I just wanted to pull some color from the room and tie the piece in.

I have this beautiful plum colored Rosette comforter from Anthropologie that is so soft it keeps me from getting out of bed on some days.

This color was perfect. I knew painting the whole piece this color would be overwhelming so I had a couple thoughts to do just the legs, just the drawer front, but I finally settled on just refinishing the top of the table.

I set off to Home Depot with my comforter in a bag and headed straight for the paint department. After matching and rematching my comforter with Behr's sample cards I finally found it. 

A great thing these days is that you can get a small sample container for around $3 of any color you want. In case you want to try the color out before you paint the whole wall or room. These also make small refinishing projects like this one really affordable. I didn't needed to pick up a gallon of paint but just a small container that would be more then enough to get the job done.

I picked up some more paint brushes, some more sand paper and brought all the goodies home.

Breaking out the hand sander again, we got to work removing the finish and white paint from the top of the table. Just enough to give the new paint a rough enough surface to adhere to.

I did three coats to even out the paint and left this to dry in the garage for 3 days just to be on the safe side.


The piece looks perfect next to my bed. Amazing what adding a splash of color will do. I plan to do this to a couple more piecing in the future so stay tuned!

My boyfriend and I have planned to move in together in October of this year and not sure if my end table or his pair will win out but either way this piece will find a place to be admired and loved by me!



No comments:

Post a Comment